Matt Baker – An intimate evening of solo jazz piano –
Matt Baker, Direct from New York City
Mittwoch, 17. Mai 2017, Konzertbeginn: 20 Uhr
Kult-Bau, Konkordiastrasse 27
Solo Piano Concert – Matt Baker Bio/Press:
Australian born / New Yorker Jazz Pianist Matt Baker is excited to be returning to Switzerland to perform for the first time in over a decade, and will be presenting a repertoire of originals and standards from his latest album Almost Blue, and the 2017 DVD release Live At Birdland. Matt will also reprise parts of a suite he composed in Switzerland 2005, a dedication to the mountainous Lac Léman region of Switzerland (which Matt cites as “his second home”).
Matt Baker was a three-time semi-finalist in the Montreux International Solo Jazz Piano Competition, and performed there with his trio as the in-house band. In 2016 Matt released his fifth album Almost Blue (JazzElm Music) with producer Matt Pierson, as well as headlined at Birdland, The Blue Note New York, Scullers Jazz Club, and performed solo piano at Carnegie Hall.
A student of Taylor Eigsti’s since moving to New York, Matt was mentored by piano legend Oscar Peterson, and as well has studied with Mulgrew Miller, Benny Green and Jacky Terrasson. Matt also performs back home with some of New Yorks top musicians including Joel Frahm, Jim Cammack, Jerome Jennings, Judy Collins, and the UK’s Barb Jungr.
This one night only event will be an intimate night of solo jazz piano, a program of fresh arranged standards and originals, all with an edge of New York City.
– “The Australian piano whiz”, NY TIMES
– “Swings confidently, full of clever reharmonizations and hip syncopation”, JAZZ TIMES
– “Matt Baker is one of the most respected and versatile pianist-composers yet to come out of Australia”, JAZZ WISE UK
– “… [The vocal tracks] showcase Baker as a wise curator and charming singer free of extraneous flourishes”, DOWNBEAT
– “Baker… launches vibrant, re-harmonized chords and explores the melody obliquely in a charmingly quirky manner”, JAZZIZ